Friday, January 11, 2013

The Waiting Game

On my way home from the suppression hearing today, I stopped at Brandy's Memorial Bench at YSU. It was raining and cold. I wasn't sure if I was shaking from the chilling air or the feelings that I was overcome with. Should I tell Brandy what went on today? Do I speak out loud? Do I stay silent, should I leave her a cigarette, can you smoke in heaven?



Things went as expected, the trial looks like it will take place in May. One year after the crime. To be in a courtroom in the presence of two cold blooded murderers, the two "girls" or "women" who killed someone's daughter, their granddaughter, niece, someone's (a lot of someones) best friend, someones big sister... it will never get easier.
They want to move one of them to another prison facility. Said it's not good for her, psychologically, to be there. Her well-being is being jeopardized. Well-being? Of someone who omitted someone else? Human rights should be only for humans, not barbarians.
I do trust the prosecution and the solidity of their case. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania will find justice for Brandy's family.
I saw a special yesterday on the weekly news. It was on texting and driving. A family shared a heartbreaking story of how they lost their dad/husband due to a careless teen texting on the road. It didn't happen far from where I live, to my surprise. The man had been out for a jog when the teen looked at her phone to text, and smashed into him, causing severe damage, and ultimately, taking his life.
My condolences to the family for having lost such a life, especially in such a way.
My point to make is only against the behavior of the victim's family member who kept repeating, "It wasn't an accident, it wasn't an accident, she killed him." The teen served 22 days in jail, and after the verbal attacks of the family, she sobbed her apologies to the them and to the court. She will speak to young teens about the dangers of texting and driving.
The reporter noted that we identify with these people, we know that it could have been us who had looked down at our GPS or our phone for a brief moment, and caused an accident. But it was an accident. It was a terrible, deadly, and tragic accident, but it was not intentional.
So tell me, if this was "not an accident," does that mean more hope for the punishment of the two murderers of Brandy Rosine? Premeditation, a vicious attack, a burial, car cleaning, burning evidence, facebooking a status, "Notorious," can these actions ensure a strong punishment? I hope so.
But then again, it wouldn't undo the crime...
Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment